Thursday, February 4, 2010

My (and it's silly) take on ..

So... racism.
Slippery subject isn't it.
I'm Caucasian, you'd say "whitey" and it'll be most polite synonym I could earn from you. 
We whiteys used to believe that we are the most racist ethnicity in the world (silly) and in schools, churches (some of 'em anyway) we supposed to learn its not good and we have to, and we should and and and etc. 

So seem we're same racist like any other ethnicity in the world, but why this "brilliant" discovery doesn't make me feel better? 
More complex and more confusing. Specially when on this pure "you are different" take, comes socioeconomically based racism.
I could wonder why, but we all know why, and we still dig in deeper. 
Why we do fall into racism? Isn't it enough of fat vs skinny, tall vs short, ugly vs beautiful, old vs young, gay vs hetero, and that eternal female vs male.
Like I am better, someone I don't know, some stranger from this mad internet, "accused" me of being an "indian in disguise" (Indian - person from India, we call 'em Hindus, they wouldn't like that either), oh to all my white readers, in South East Asia being an Indian is like being an ...Afro-American (sorry) in Denver in mid 50's, so go figure. And I have no idea why...because of "you know what", specially that for most of you out there's no difference between Japanese and Chinese, and you know that too well. 
Anyway I got offended and there's another part of this story but it isn't for this entry and I doubt I will ever blog about it.
I got offended.
Damn!... and after a while I felt..ugly, this is really...ugly feeling.
It's not even because I should just ignore that crap, I was offended because he "accused" me of being an "indian"
Got it?, as well he or she could say I'm being Chinese or Eskimo or hell even talking monkey, but that "indian" factor got on my nerves, like ...hell O.o I guess I wouldn't mind normally I wouldn't give a damn, but suddenly after these couple of  years in Asia I do mind, and subconsciously I didn't want to be synonymous to any ..Indian. I know shame on me, and I really thought I'm so bullshit-proof, but am not, environment slowly like a dripping water drilled in me new channel filled with new to my culture (new?) racial treat, "indian factor", yet I didn't know about its presence in me.

And I started to think, what actually shapes our likes and dislikes, what beside "obvious" is shaping our perception. What it is? What really equates me with this "everything"...

3 comments:

fy said...

u indian ...hahahha U INDIAN go eat curry vege.. baboo

please like this passerby said...

now you have retards commenting here :))

Emmanuelle said...

It's a bit rude to write something like that. Seriously, I don't understand when someone commented "you are being an Indian". What are the attributes that describe being Indian? I don't agree 100% that Indians over here are like the African American. The person that can utter a statement like this is sadly an ignorant person.

Post a Comment